|Daddy-failure. Bought a dozen Dunkin Donuts at Dulles. Told the boys they could each have two and so they did. Right before getting on a 13 hour flight across the Atlantic Ocean.|
|Nolan was a trooper on the plane ride over.|
Why? Why bring four little boys (including a baby) across the ocean on a 13 hour flight with 30 bags of luggage (mostly medical supplies) to spend a month on a continent known more for its volatility than its beauty or tourist destinations after just moving cross-country from Minnesota to Tennessee three weeks ago? Why would we put our four precious little boys at risk?
We processed these questions time and time again and came up with many answers...
- We want our children catch the 'travel bug' too.
- I wanted to see interesting orthopedic trauma cases and didn't want to be away from Jenn & the boys for a whole month.
- Ethiopia has awesome coffee! (More about that later)
- We want our boys to know how blessed they are and know that those blessings are intended to be used to bless others, not to be selfishly hoarded.
- We want the boys to know the world is bigger than Elkhorn!
- We don't want the boys to know what the 'third world' is so that they know they live in the 'first world.' We want them to live in one world - God's world - and to love, serve, and seek justice for their friends, regardless of what continent they live on.
- Because we're crazy!
- We wanted the boys to see other people/children living in poverty and recognize that God does not show favoritism because we are white, wealthy, Americans.
- And the list could go on....
|Pic of boys on Sunday|
|The boys love having a trampoline 50 feet from our front door. Our house is in the background.|
|Luke & Bryan with hospital compound and Mount Damota in background.|
|Bayleigh, Nolan, Luke, and Bryan|